VP of Marketing
Rank17 is seeking a VP of Marketing to build & lead its new VR marketing team.
As a member of Rank17, you will be a part of a team of innovative and highly skilled specialists at the forefront of the VR gaming & VR adtech industries. We are seeking the industry’s best to help us create, publish, and support our ambitious VR technologies and games. Join us, and you’ll have the power of a 5-year-old startup that has launched more than 60 desktop titles in 5 years, has generated more than $50M in gross revenue, and introduced new PC ad modalities that have been viewed billions of times. Now we are doing the same thing – but on a vastly larger scale – in the emerging VR space.
The Rank17 VP of Marketing position is located in San Diego, CA and will report to the CEO, working collaboratively with Rank17’s internal studio and publishing team as well as external strategic partners. Since VR is an emerging business unit here, this position is also responsible for hiring and building a new VR marketing team and creating a high-performing team culture. This is a new position so you will have the opportunity to put your own mark on Rank17 and bring in your processes and ideas.
REQUIRED INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE
- 2+ years in marketing with a game publisher or game developer.
- 5+ years of experience in digital/online marketing.
- STRATEGIC PRODUCT MARKETING & BUSINESS PLANNING. This includes: marketing strategy, industry analysis, and establishing a marketing budget.
- MARKETING STRATEGY & EXECUTION.
- Hands on contributor. Write copy, liaise with PR agencies and partners, and organize marketing materials.
- Corporate and game title marketing. Manage implementation of innovative, creative and effective marketing programs within budgetary guidelines. Lead the development, approval, and execution of marketing materials.
- Launch strategies. Define objectives and strategies for product launches and develop and define marketing pillars, positioning and target audience.
- Social Media. Manage social media engagement both directly and through contributing partners (Twitch, Youtube, Reddit, Facebook, etc).
- Plus: Community building, brand management, and corporate consistency.
- PRODUCT STRATEGY
- Product ideas. Identify commercially and financially successful products, games, and monetization modalities.
- Product prioritization. Devise and execute marketing plans, working with internal teams and external partners. This includes: title prioritization (what do we build next?), product positioning, target market identification and analysis, volume forecasting, budgeting, category and competitive analysis and pricing analysis.
- Plus: Work with product development team especially in regards to player engagement strategies.
- CAMPAIGN EFFECTIVENESS & REPORTING
- Measure KPIs, identify what is actionable data, optimize, and more testing.
- MARKETING TEAM LEADERSHIP
- Hire & manage. Define roles and responsibilities within the marketing team and hire that team – new employees, outsourced workers, and external firms.
- Plus: Mentoring, establish team culture. Some travel (e.g. industry shows, partners, investors) may be required.
OTHER DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Recent (within 2 years) VR industry experience is a plus.
- Deep experience with console or PC game marketing and digital publishing.
- Experience managing outside resources (PR firms, social media managers, outsourced team mates, etc)
- Demonstrated ability to identify and solve ambiguous problems and, in particular, a history of identifying customer needs and inventing new ways to meet those needs.
- Leader who is a big thinker and who focuses on strategy, yet is also tactical and can contribute on a small team.
- Deep experience in driving data-led and analytics-led strategy along with solid business, analytical, problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
- Someone who thrives on uncovering consumer insights in order to deliver innovative and effective marketing campaigns.
- Technical understanding of business planning, such as budgeting, forecasting and long range planning.
- Creative and analytical thinker with deep experience and proven achievements in marketing games.
- Experience interacting with gamers and customers.
- Ability to thrive in a high-energy, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to communicate and drive execution and work across the team.
- Effective leadership and people management.
- BA (or higher) degree preferred.
- A passion for games.